Thursday 3 May 2012

Am I learning?

Nope don't think I am. I think I'm in a slump. And the weather is surely not helping. We should be perky and picnicking and heading to the park. I am not feeling perky at all. I am fretting. I am internalising. I am on the verge of an almighty "oh my goodness will someone just write something in a stupid workbook before I get arrested " rant.

I have a house full of kids completely happy to ignore all the lovely educational goodness strewn (though not purposefully!) about our home. Ready to inspire and inform them, maybe help with a project idea. Completely happy to ignore educational subscriptions to online worlds ready to help them with their maths and magazines designed to encourage their writing and the books piled everywhere.

But then, they have the tree.

Only recently realising it's climbing potential it now has them in its leafy grip. Walking the dogs? in the rain mummy? No thank you. A walk to the library? I'm good thanks. But a clamber in the hotel for twigs, yes please, especially if it's tipping it down and super slippery.

So are they learning?

Well, we can but hope! Surely negotiating wet branches and balancing over a brook is real P.E in a Ray Mears style. Whittling is woodwork and you need to understand forces and trajectory to make your arrows fly so well. Also the booking system, guest management and receptionist skills needed for the hotel would definitely see you on your way to a travel and tourism degree, though I've yet to work out who is staying there. Snails probably or as its name suggests just the twigs!

As with all these phases where I feel we're doing nothing, recording nothing, achieving nothing, they've happily built themselves a whole world of wonder in which they can push boundaries that feel good to them.

When I look the younger two are really filling their time outside and what's not to love about that. Aware of all the things growing and the birds, animals and insects emerging around them. Friends can come and play in a world the adults cannot enter. Mr 12 1/2 and not hitting puberty ever but showing all the signs, is able to dip in and out. Play when he feels like playing, sleep a little longer when needed and step away to read or work quietly. In the tree he can be whatever his imagination desires for 20 minutes or 2 hours and he's allowed. Of course, Mr big can come and inspect, admire and offer building advice in his biggest brotherly way. Taking the opportunity to come and chat with me while the others are out in the tree. Knowing that his choice of 20minutes math followed by a day of guitar playing or poetry writing or documentary watching with not be frowned upon.

So, maybe I am learning. Because I'm letting it happen. Without fuss or fretting to them. And well, I guess this just enforces those who believe me to be a crazy hippy mama. Now I'm a crazy tree hugger too. I'm embracing the tree!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment