Friday 7 October 2011

Thought I'd better...........

Get my brain sorted.
Show the mysterious home education bogeyman/woman we are still providing a suitable environment in which our children can learn.
And generally post what we've been up to!

Hmmm, bit stuck now.

I see evidence of book reading as I keep nearly sliding on them where they've been abandoned around the house and I found an atlas by the toilet (surely a sign a boy has been reading there!)

I hear evidence of music practicing that warms my heart if not entirely soothing my cold addled head.

And I am questioned and talked to constantly, even when I would like to sneak off to read in the toilet!

Oh, the conversations!
Sometimes I wish the house was rigged like big brother so I could capture, show and shout "THIS, this is what" when the voices ask well what have you been doing all day or when actual people ask "how does that work then?"

Then I could replay conversations about cancer, catastrophes and current affairs. A camera would follow the up, downs and all overs of the smallest member of our household going about making mess as she goes reading here, drawing there and imagining everywhere.

Or capture the middle two who learn so differently but share so much and manage to laugh and fight almost simultaneously.

A movement sensor could show the inner working of a teenage body as it struggles with hormones never felt by anyone before and feelings that can overwhelm in an instant but that can show compassion and understanding some adults still struggle with. It would reveal how the teenage brain works on a time schedule incompatible at times with normal life but that produces moments of concentration and creativity of which we can all be envious.

Maybe the cameras would follow us as we all cope with a shift in our family. As it grows and becomes smaller all at the same time. As we take on new titles like uncle or Grandma!! As the experiences we share gives us all new learning opportunities.

A week of a new month has gone by and this is our life, this month every month. Sprinkled with learning that even the casual observer would recognise! Maths and reading, language study and science experiments. We've even played with some Norse folk!





But it is the bits hardest to record photograph or explain that are shaping our learning and life the most.

- Posted using BlogPress, when I had managed to sit on the sofa and wallow in my headcold for half an hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment